Thursday 18 February 2016

Anouk is sculpted



The sculptor at the factory begins creating Anouk.


Finding a factory to make Anouk the way I wanted was difficult. I knew I wanted her produced in Europe. It may well have been easier and cheaper to go to Asia but that was not really in the spirit of Anouk. Europe had a wonderful doll making industry up until the 70s / 80s. Sindy was made in England, Mily, Caprice were made in France, Italy was so prolific and Spain had a wonderful doll making tradition. 


As I began my research though, I sadly realised, that it was no longer the 60s so consequently a lot of these factories no longer existed. I spent weeks making phone calls, writing emails and researching. Finally, when I almost had given up, I found the ideal factory in Spain. They were a perfect on many levels. A fairly small outfit with only a few hundred staff. They still use vintage machines and techniques to make their dolls. As the head of production joked with me, “Everything is as it was in the 1960s Nav. Only the staff has changed”. They had a great understanding of what I wanted to do, and an integrity that was very appealing. Even though they are not experienced in fashion doll making they took Anouk on as a challenge that they have more than risen to.



These Vats contain liquid vinyl which will make Anouk.

The ovens where the body parts are baked. in the foreground you can see the moulds.

The most expensive part. The moulds!

Skilled factory workers working on another order of dolls.

 
The hair rooting ladies.
Notice the spools of hair overhead.
Anouk gets sculpted.

Anouk's wax model which will be used to produce her moulds.

Very early Plasticine model of Anouk


First attempt of Anouk's head in wax.


The second version, which was better, but still too smiling and not sharp enough features.

The third version. Smile gone but nose needs refinement.

Fourth version! Finally we cracked it. I love her sharper retrousse nose.

The final sculpt in profile.



Myself with the head of production, touring the factory and, selecting colours for Anouk.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.